This company has complied the most comprehensive database of solar asset performance in the United States (30% of the entire market). They have used this information to create unique insurance products which in their mind can drastically impact the finance landscape for solar projects moving forward and in time will also be able to have similar impacts in other renewable energy format. Their main product is the Solar Revenue Put – the idea of behind this product is that it will enable solar investors reduce their biggest cost: the cost of capital.
The value of this product has already been recognized by leading project finance banks and has already been implemented by top investors on $500M+ of solar projects. The company basically wrote the book on “risk management” for solar investors, their products been extremely well received by the market and they’ve had incredible growth having gone from $8 Million total sales in 2020 to projecting 24 million in total sales next year – they have created a few new products which contributed to this amazing increase in sales but the Sol Revenue Put is still a very high % of overall sales.
The purpose of this role will be to operate as lead ambassador for the company - you'll need to be actively in the market seeking opportunities to build and maintain relationships with Project Finance professionals within renewable energy developers/IPPs and financiers, it is important this person has a sound understanding of project finance for renewable energy projects and can therefore translate the benefit of the ‘Solar Revenue Put’ effectively. The current team is comprised of 3 professionals, 2 at Director level and 1 Manager who all have a background in the energy market – you will take on leadership of the team which is responsible for managing the entire sales cycle from lead generation to deal execution. This is a great opportunity to join at a still relatively ground floor level, the company is willing to put some equity in the business on the table so that this person is truly motivates to succeed and can perform in the success of the business over time.
Who we are looking for:
· We are looking for an entrepreneurial executive to lead the Business Development effort for our innovative financial products, including the Solar Revenue Put, the Solar Advance, and the next generation of proprietary risk transfer instruments. This person will report to the CEO.
· Your primary responsibility will be to lead the 6-person Business Development team in originating and executing transactions with other project finance professionals to deliver revenue growth for our core business.
· You will also collaborate with our Product and Marketing teams on the product development roadmap, pricing, positioning and development of the customer engagement strategy.
· To help you succeed, we have assembled a uniquely cross-functional team of talented solar veterans and data scientists, partnered with Fortune 500 re/insurers, and built a client roster that includes some of the most sophisticated investors in our industry.
What you can look forward to:
· Help clients win: We improve equity IRRs at a time of intense competition for renewable energy assets.
· Thinking creatively: Success here has nothing to do with “believing” this month’s Ventyx, and instead pivots on your team’s ability to understand and solve client problems.
· Leading: Opportunity to lead a team of solar project finance professionals that carry developer, lender, and sponsor equity perspectives.
· Managing growth: Embracing a growth mindset to manage the “hockey stick” while building new processes that scale.
· Market leadership: Accelerate the Solar Revenue Put’s journey towards becoming a true market standard for solar financings.
· Responsibility with resources: Owning the responsibility for delivering revenue growth for risk transfer products with the tailwind of a successful Series B fundraise.
· What you likely need to do the job well:
· Business Development experience. Track record of leading business development efforts in the renewable energy industry. You are invigorated by developing and maintaining relationships.
· Renewable energy experience. (project finance or development), 4-8 years of prior experience at a developer, investor, or lender focused on investing in renewable energy assets, working in a role with direct exposure to the project financing process and structuring.
· Fluency in project finance. You can solve deal structuring problems in real-time with our clients (senior finance executives) and are able to bring to bear that experience in guiding our business development team. You are comfortable with mental math and jumping into spreadsheets.
· A thinker and a doer. You can hold multiple stakeholders’ perspectives in your head, devise a solution, and then rapidly build consensus around that solution.
· Attention to detail. You care deeply about making sure that each deal is done right, and may have even seen what happens when details are missed.
· Operating in an entrepreneurial environment. You enjoy “building the plane while you’re flying it” and will go the extra mile to figure things out.
· Willingness to roll up your sleeves. We are a start-up and need people who aren’t afraid to get their hands dirty.
· Bias to Action. You’re driven and motivated to action individually and are also able to work with your team to drive results.